Lilva Rice ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
4/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 386 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 29770 times
Green field beans, long-grained rice and fresh green herbs, cooked in an earthen pot… the experience is truly heavenly! lilva or fresh vaal is available only during a season that lasts three to four months, so make the most of it while it lasts. The delicious green masala used in this recipe is truly delectable, so if you are reminded of it when lilva is not in season, make this rice with cauliflower and green peas instead. It tastes equally good.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the cinnamon and cloves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the rice, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 2 more minutes.
- Add the vaal, prepared paste, salt and 4 cups of warm water and mix well.
- Transfer it to an earthen pot, cover and cook on a medium flame for 25 to 30 minutes or till the rice is cooked, while stirring occasionally in between.
- Serve hot with kadhi.
- If you do not have a earthen pot continue cooking in the same deep non-stick pan.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.