Added to 61 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 28323 times
Every region in india has its own specialty dal preparation. Similarly nearly every place in north india has over the years developed its very own dal. The lahori dal is just one of these. Prepared with oodles of butter and cream this dal is truly fit for a king. Simple to prepare yet very delicious the lahori dal is a must try for all lovers of punjabi food.
- Clean, wash and soak the masoor dal in water for 20 minutes.
- Drain, add 2 cups of water and salt and pressure cook for 15-20 minutes till the dal is cooked.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Whisk till the dal is almost mashed and pour into a deep pan.
- Add the garlic paste, chilli powder, turmeric powder, 2 tbsp butter, cream and 1/2 cup water and simmer on a low flame till the dal thickens.
- For the tempering, heat the remaining butter in another pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When they crackle, add the onions and sauté till they become translucent.
- Add to the dal mixture and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, peppercorns and salt if required and mix well.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.