Kottu (Sri Lankan Dal)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 51 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 13295 times
Refreshing lemon, soothing coconut milk, and an assortment of spices are cooked together with masoor dal for a delicious bowl of kootu. An authentic Sri Lankan recipe, it is a must try and makes a great variation of an everyday dal. Bring Lanka to your dining table!
- Clean, wash and soak the masoor dal in water for about 30 minutes. Drain.
- Pressure cook the dal with turmeric powder, salt and 2½ cups of water till done.
- Whisk well till the dal is mashed and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and chilli powder and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the cooked dal and bring to a boil.
- Add the coconut milk and salt and ½ cup of water and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the fire and add the lemon juice. Mix well and serve hot.
RECIPE SOURCE : Dals
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.