Added to 220 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 21364 times
When you are tired of the daily Sambhar , this delectable Kolumbu will lend a special touch to your breakfast!
Packed with the power of spices and dals, this tasty, veggie-loaded accompaniment is also quite satiating. While it goes great with Idli and Plain Dosa you can also enjoy it with other South Indian recipes like Upma and Pongal, a steaming hot bowl of rice or a sumptuous Khichdi.
You can replace tomatoes with 2 tbsp of tamarind if you would like your Kolumbu slightly more tart. Using tamarind also accentuates the aroma and flavour of the spices better.
- Combine all the ingredients in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast on a slow flame for 3 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely. Once cooled, blend in a mixer till smooth. Keep aside.
- Combine the toovar dal and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep non-stick pan, add all the vegetables, salt, turmeric powder, kolumbu powder and 4 cups of water, mix well. Cover and cook on a medium flame for 15 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the kolumbu and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||140.3 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||24.2 mg|
|Folic Acid||41.1 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.