by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1051 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 44746 times
Fragrant long-grained rice interleced with a spinach gravy and chick pea koftas.
- Combine all the ingredients except the oil in a blender and grind to a smooth paste.
- Shallow fry spoonfuls of the mixture on a non-stick pan, using a little oil over a medium flame, till both sides are golden brown. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and saute the onion till translucent.
- Add the tomato puree, ginger, turmeric and chilli powder and cook till the oil separates.
- Add the garam masala and spinach and saute for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the cream and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
- Clean and wash the rice.
- In a large pan, add the rice, cloves, bay leaves, salt and 2 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer till the rice is almost cooked. Keep aside.
- In a greased bowl, spread the half the rice to form one even layer.
- Arrange all the koftas over the rice.
- Spoon the gravy on top and sprinkle the mint leaves.
- Spread another layer of rice.
- In another pan, combine the milk, butter, cardamom powder and saffron and bring to a boil.
- Pour over the layered biryani.
- Cover with a tight lid and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C (400°F) for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- The chick peas have to be soaked for at least 6 hours. 1/4 cup raw chick peas will yield approx. 3/4 cup of soaked chick peas.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.