Khubani ka Meetha, Hyderabadi Apricot and Custard Dessert Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 9 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 18442 times
Khubani ka Meetha is the perfect dessert to serve after a sumptuous meal of Hyderabadi Biryani. It is a classic Hyderabadi dessert made with apricot and custard.
A puree of delightfully sweet apricots with a hint of tang and sourness, is laced with Indian spices like cardamom and saffron, and served on a bed of lusciously creamy vanilla custard.
A garnish of crunchy nuts adds to the richness of this fabulous dessert. Khubani ka Meetha is a must-have item on most Hyderabadi wedding menus, but you don’t have to attend one to taste this amazing dish – just try it at home on a Sunday and surprise your family with it after lunch.
You can try other apricot delights like Apricot Mousse and Apricot Stew with Vanilla Custard .
- Combine the dried apricots in enough water in a deep bowl and soak it for 4 to 5 hours. Drain, deseed and blend in a mixer till smooth. Keep aside.
- Combine the saffron strands and warm milk in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the apricot purée, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 15 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the cardamom powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Lower the flame to slow, add the saffron-milk mixture and almonds, mix well and cook for a few seconds. Keep aside.
- Combine the custard powder and ¼ cup of cold milk in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 1¼ cups of cold milk in a deep non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the custard-milk mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring continuously using a whisk.
- Switch off the flame, add the sugar and mix well. Keep aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled completely, add the fresh cream and mix well. Keep aside.
- Divide the khubani into 6 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Divide the custard into 6 equal portions. Keep aside.
- In a serving bowl/glass, put a portion of the prepared custard, top it with a portion of the khubani and finally top it with 1 tsp of mixed nuts evenly over it.
- Repeat step 3 to make 5 more glasses.
- Refrigerate for atleast one hour and serve chilled.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||221.4 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.1 mg|
|Vitamin C||1.3 mg|
|Folic Acid||3.1 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.