Khatta Moong ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 231 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 99589 times
The use of whole green gram or moong is very common in day-to-day Gujarati fare. Khatta moong is a lovely recipe that features cooked moong simmered with curds and spices. The use of curds bestows a unique, sumptuous feel to this recipe. Garlic-lovers can even add a little garlic paste to add a whole new dimension to this item.
- Wash and soak the whole moong in enough water for 2 to 3 hours. Drain.
- Add 1½ cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Combine the sour curds, chilli powder, turmeric powder and besan in a bowl and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida and ginger-green chilli paste and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the cooked moong, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the curds-besan mixture, salt and 1 cup of water, mix well and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with coriander and serve immediately with rice or roti.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.