Khatta Dhokla ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1142 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 227592 times
The ‘khatta’ in the name is the dominant flavour of this dhokla, and this sourness is brought about by adding a little sour curds. Although dhoklas taste good at room temperature too, serve them hot with green chutney and tea for a classic and complete package!
- Combine the khatta dhokla flour, curds, green chilli paste,1 tsp of oil, warm water (approx 2 1/4 cups) and salt in a bowl and mix well. Keep aside to ferment for atleast 8 to 10 hours.
- Just before steaming, sprinkle the fruit salt and add 2 tsp of water over the batter.
- When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Grease a 175 mm. (7") diameter thali using the remaining 1/4 tsp of oil.
- Pour 1/3 rd of the batter immediately into the greased thali and shake the thali clockwise to spread it to make an even layer.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of black pepper powder evenly over it and steam in a steamer for 7 to 8 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked.
- Cool slightly and cut into diamond shaped equal pieces.
- Repeat the steps 5 to 7 to make 2 more thalis.
- Serve immediately with green chutney.
- To make khatta dhokla flour, combine 1½ cups of rice and ½ cup of urad dal and grind it to make a flour at the nearest flour mill.
- Fermentation time of rice and urad dal may vary depending on the weather conditions.
- Add the fruit salt to the batter just before steaming and then mix lightly with your hands.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.