Khaman Dhokla, Quick Microwave Khaman Dhokla
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 2783 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 145685 times
The Khaman Dhokla is an all-time favourite Gujarati snack that is served with peppy green chutney at tea time. It has an exquisite texture and appetizing flavour, but is surprisingly easy to make, especially this version that is made in the microwave oven.
A batter of besan and rava is cooked into fluffy dhoklas, which are tempered traditionally to get an aromatic and tasty snack. Citric acid and fruit salt added to the batter enable you to cook the dhoklas quickly and easily in the microwave oven without requiring fermentation or a long duration of steaming. You can enjoy the Quick Microwave Khaman Dhokla any day you wish to, or even serve it to a sudden guest, as it will be ready in a jiffy!
- Combine the besan, semolina, citric acid, sugar, ginger-green chilli paste and salt with ¾ cup of water in a deep bowl and mix well till no lumps remain.
- Add the fruit salt and 1 tbsp of water over it. When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Pour half the batter into a greased 150 mm. (6") diameter microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Repeat step 3 to make the one more batch of khaman dhoklas. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a microwave safe small bowl and add the mustard seeds, sesame seeds, green chillies and asafoetida and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Pour equal quantities of the tempering over both the batches of steamed dhoklas and garnish it with coriander.
- Cut into pieces, garnish with coriander and serve immediately with green chutney.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.