Khaman Dhokla ( Non- Fried Snacks )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 204 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 232349 times
Khaman dhokla, a famous snack sold in every street of gujarat, it is no longer restricted to that region -- it is readily available in every part of the country. People love these yummy dhoklas as a breakfast, snack or as a farsaan (savoury accompaniment) in the lunch or dinner menu. We made it in a jiffy using besan, but it can also be made by soaking and grinding chana dal. These versatile dhoklas can be steamed in a traditional dhokla steamer or in a microwave oven.
- Combine all the ingredients together, except the fruit salt in a bowl and mix well adding water as required (approximately ¾ cup) to make a thick batter.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and add 2 tsp of water over it.
- When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Pour the batter immediately into a greased 125 mm. (5") diameter thali and shake the thali clockwise to spread the batter in an even layer.
- Steam for 12 to 15 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in small pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds, green chillies and asafoetida, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for a second, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame, add 2 tbsp of water and mix well. Pour the tempering over the dhoklas.
- Cool slightly and cut into equal pieces. Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
- To add health quotient to dhokla, modify the flour used, use ¾ cup of besan along with ¼ cup of soya flour and follow the same procedure as given for khaman dhokla
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.