Khaman Dhokla ( Non- Fried Snacks )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 296 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 325875 times
Khaman dhokla, a famous snack sold in every street of Gujarat, it is no longer restricted to that region -- it is readily available in every part of the country. People love these yummy dhoklas as a breakfast, snack or as a farsan (savoury accompaniment) in the lunch or dinner menu.
We made it in a jiffy using besan, but it can also be made by soaking and grinding chana dal. These versatile dhoklas can be steamed in a traditional dhokla steamer or in a microwave oven.
These dhoklas can be used to make variants like Amiri Khaman , Rasawala Dhokla and Pav Bhaji Dhokla .
- Combine the besan, semolina, sugar, ginger-green chilli paste, lemon juice and salt with approx. ¾ cup of water in a deep bowl and mix well using a whisk to get a smooth batter.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and mix lightly.
- Pour the mixture immediately to a greased 175 mm. (7") diameter thali and spread evenly by rotating the thali clockwise.
- Steam in a steamer for 10 to 12 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Remove from the flame, add ½ cup of water and wait for 5 minutes or till the water is absorbed completely.
- Pour the tempering over the prepared dhoklas and spread it evenly.
- Cut into pieces, garnish with coriander and serve immediately with green chutney.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.