Khakhra ( Whole Wheat)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 22 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 100214 times
Khakhra, a famous Gujarati snack is made from whole wheat flour, salt, oil and water. The dough is rolled out and cooked on a tava with pressure applied till crisp.
Khakhras are healthy, quick to make and go with curds, chutney, Jeera Aloo and Methia Keri Sambhaar . Basically khakhra is a crispy version of roti.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, salt and oil in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water. Cover it with a lid and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of the dough into a 150 mm. (6”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and place a roti on it and cook on both sides for a few seconds.
- Apply ghee on it and cook on a slow flame until crisp using little pressure with help of a muslin cloth or with a khakhra press.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 to make 5 more khakhras.
- Allow them to cool completely and store in an air-tight container.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.