Kesar Kulfi Falooda
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 440 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 133581 times
Rich creamy kulfi topped with falooda and rose syrup is a dessert which finds a place at every Indian buffet counter. Kulfi is our very own Indian ice-cream made from thickened and reduced milk flavoured with saffron and cardamom. Falooda is fresh cornflour "sev" (vermicelli). Kulfi falooda are almost synonymous and make perfect dessert mates. You will find ready dried falooda in the market which has to be rehydrated before use. But of course, nothing is as good as making it yourself!
- In a small bowl, soak the saffron in a little warm milk and keep aside.
- Dissolve the arrowroot in 2 tablespoons of water and keep aside.
- Put the milk in a broad non-stick pan and bring it to a boil. Add the arrowroot solution and sugar and mix well.
- Simmer over a medium flame, stirring continuously till the milk reduces to a little less than half the original quantity (approx. 450 ml.).
- Cool completely, add the cardamom powder and saffron mixture and mix well.
- Pour into 5 kulfi moulds and freeze overnight till it sets.
- Mix the cornflour very well in 450 ml. of water to make a smooth solution.
- Put the mixture to boil on a slow flame. Go on stirring and cooking until the mixture becomes translucent.
- Put the mixture in a ‘sev' press and squeeze by hand through the sieve into a vessel which is filled with chilled water and with ice cubes. This falooda "sev" must be preserved in water till required.
- To unmould the kulfi, allow the kulfi moulds to remain outside the refrigerator for 5 minutes and then unmould by inserting a wooden skewer stick or a fork, in the centre of the kulfi and pulling it out.
- Put 3 teaspoons of rose syrup and 1 tablespoon of falooda "sev" in a serving bowl. Top with cubes of kesar kulfi.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.