by Amarendra Mulye
Added to 12 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 40178 times
Karanji is a traditional maharashtrian sweet made during the festive occasion of diwali. Non-maharashtrians call it fried dumplings stuffed with a sweet mixture of fresh coconut and sugar. Karanji is also known as gujiya. Karanjis can be stored for weeks. Some people add semolina or khava in the filling.
- Heat a pan, add the coconut and sugar and saute on a slow flame till the sugar is melted, taking care the mixture does not becomes too dry.
- Remove from the flame and add the cardamom powder, mix well and keep aside to cool.
- Divide the mixture into 18 equal portion and keep aside.
- Take the flour in a bowl and add the hot ghee over the flour.
- Add the milk and knead into a soft and smooth dough.
- Cover with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside for 30 minutes. Knead again to make the dough more soft.
- Divide the dough into 18 equal portions and roll out each portion into a circle of 4" diameter.
- Place a portion of the filling at the center of each puri and fold the circle in a half-moon shape.
- Apply a little water or milk on the edges and seal it using water.
- Remove the excess sides with the help of knife or cutter
- Cover with a moist cloth for 5 minutes.
- Repeat the same process for the remaining ingredients.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry the karanji on medium heat till it turns golden brown.
- Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Cool and serve.
- You may add dry-fruits of your choice to enhance the taste of the stuffing.
This recipe was contributed by Amarendra Mulye on 26 Sep 2011I am complete foodie and love to indulge into variety of food items. I love trying out and learning ...
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.