Jini Dosa ( Mumbai Roadside Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 133 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 66166 times
Dig into this magical cheesy delight! the amount of cheese used in this recipe will definitely make the calorie-conscious faint, but even they would love to feast on this on a day off! the tomato garlic chutney used in this recipe deserves special mention as it brings in the much-needed tanginess.
- Heat a tava /non-stick tava (griddle), sprinkle a little water on it (it should sizzle immediately) and wipe off using a piece of cloth.
- Pour ¼th of the batter on the tava (griddle) and spread in a circular motion to make a 225 mm. (9") thin dosa.
- Place 1 tbsp of butter in the centre, add 1½ tbsp of onions, 1½ tbsp of cabbage, 1½ tbsp of capsicum and ¼ cup of tomatoes, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp of tomato-garlic chutney, 1 tbsp of coconut chutney, ¼ cup of masala, ½ tsp of chilli powder, ¼ tsp of garam masala, salt and grate ½ cheese cube and mash well using a potato masher.
- Add another ½ tbsp of butter and grate remaining ½ cheese cube, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for another minute.
- Spread the stuffing evenly over the dosa, fold over while pressing it lightly using spatula to make a flat roll and cut into 4 equal pieces using the sharp edge of the spatula on the tava (griddle).
- Place the pieces on a plate and serve immediately with coconut chutney, green garlic chutney and sambhar.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more plates.
- To make a jain version, follow the recipe procedure as given above.
- Simply replace the masala with equal quantities of chopped paneer and replace onions with an equal quantity of cabbage.
- Replace 1 tbsp tomato garlic chutney with 1 tbsp of tomato ketchup and 1 tsp of chilli sauce.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.