5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 65 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 253117 times
Jeera rice is a simple preparation of rice that has been flavoured with jeera or cumin seeds. This versatile rice preparation can be eaten as an accompaniment with almost any dal or vegetable. Jeera rice with plain curds and pickle or just topped with some ghee is my personal favourite. Using shah-jeera in this recipe adds a lovely flavour and fragrance to the rice. Coriander imparts taste and a delightful green colour turning plain simple rice into a preparation to be relished.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry the onion slices on a medium flame till they are golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside for the garnish.
- Clean, wash and soak the rice for 10 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Put 2½ cups of water to boil.
- Heat the ghee in a broad pan and add the caraway seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the rice and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the hot water and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the salt cover with a lid and cook till the rice is done.
- Separate each grain of rice lightly with a fork.
- Serve hot and garnished with the fried onions.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.