Jain Chole Masala
by Foodie #48100
Added to 18 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 51226 times
Chole masala (jain) is a jain style chickpea preparation with choicest spices and ingredients. The kabuli chana or chole are boiled along with tea leaves tied in a muslin cloth and then cooked in a delicious spicy gravy. Serve chole masala(jain style) with roti or rice.
- Pressure cook the kabuli chana along with bayleaf and tea bag for 5 whistles or till the chana are cooked but not mashed.
- Drain preserving the water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadhai, add the capsicum and tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared paste, mix well and saute till the oil leaves the sides.
- Add all the dry masalas, 1 cup preserved chana water, mix well and bring to boil.
- Add the channa, mix well and simmer till gravy is almost dry.
- Remove from the flame and pour into serving dish.
- Before serving, for the tempering, heat ghee in a small pan and add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the chillies and curry leaves and saute for 10 seconds.
- Add the lemon juice, 1/4 cup preserved water and mix well.
- Pour this tempering immediately over channa and mix gently.
- Serve hot with slices of bread, parathas, or bhaturas.
This recipe was contributed by Foodie #48100 on 22 Sep 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.