by Tarla Dalal
Added to 450 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 68707 times
Fresh hot syrupy jalebis are a hit at any chaat party. You will always find serpentine queues of people waiting to savour this delicacy. You will not believe how quickly jalebis can be made. I have used yeast to ferment the jalebi batter quickly and so it does not require to be left for a day to ferment. The trick here is to immediately start frying the jalebis once the batter has rested for 10 minutes. If the batter is left for a longer period, it ferments and the jalebis lose shape. Also remember to soak the jalebis in warm sugar syrup immediately after frying them. Yes, they are made as simply as that!
- Sieve the plain flour and gram flour together.
- Dissolve the yeast in 1 tablespoon of water.
- Mix the flour mixture, yeast solution, ghee, sugar and lemon yellow food colouring with 2/3 cup of water to make a thick batter, making sure that no lumps remain.
- Keep aside for 10 minutes till the yeast ferments.
- Dissolve the sugar in 1 cup of water and simmer for 5 minutes till the syrup is of 1 string consistency.
- Add the saffron and lemon juice and mix.
- Remove from the fire and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a broad saucepan [the ghee should be approximately 25 mm. (1") deep].
- Fill the jalebi batter into a piping bag with a single hole nozzle or a thick cloth with a small hole in the centre which is finished with button-hole stitch.
- Press out round whirls of the batter into the hot ghee working closely from centre to the outside of the whirl [approximately 50 mm. (2") diameter].
- Deep fry the jalebis till golden brown and transfer into the warm sugar syrup.
- Drain immediately and serve hot.
- Do not allow the jalebi batter to overferment.
- Fry the jalebis immediately once the batter has rested for 10 minutes.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.