by Tarla Dalal
Added to 990 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 162940 times
A quick variation of the traditional dessert.
- Sieve the flour and gram flour together.
- Dissolve the yeast in 1 tablespoon of water.
- Mix the flour mixture, yeast solution, ghee, sugar and lemon yellow food colouring with 2/3 cup of water to make a thick batter, making sure no lumps remain.
- Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Dissolve the sugar with 1/2 cup of water and simmer for 5 minutes till the syrup is of 2 string consistency.
- Add the saffron and lemon juice and mix.
- Remove from the fire and keepa aside.
- Heat the ghee in a broad saucepan [the ghee should be approximately 25 mm. (1") deep].
- Fill the jalebi batter into a piping bag with a single hole nozzle or a thick colth with a small hole in the centre which is finished with button-hole stitch.
- Press out round whirls into the hot ghee working closely from outside to the centre of the whirl [approx. 50 mm. (2") diameter].
- Deep fry the jalebis till golden brown and transfer into warm sugar syrup.
- Drain immediately and serve hot.
- Do not allow the jalebi batter to overferment. Fry the jalebis immediately once the batter has rested for 10 minutes.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.