Added to 192 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 9929 times
Crisp urad dal imratis soaked in sugar syrup.
- Soak the urad dal in warm water for 2 to 3 hours.
- Drain the urad dal and grind it in a food processor along with the cornflour, yellow food colouring and approximately 1/4 cup of water to make a very fine paste.
- The paste should resemble a cake batter. Add more water if required.
- Combine the sugar and water in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Simmer till the syrup is of 1 string consistency. Remove from the fire.
- Add the saffron colour and mix well. Keep the syrup warm.
- Fill the imrati batter into a piping bag with a single nozzle or a thick cloth with a small hole in the centre which is finished with button-hole stitch.
- You can also use a plastic ketchup bottle with nozzle.
- Heat ghee in shallow non-stick pan (the ghee should be approx. 1" deep). Pipe out the batter to drop a continuous pattern of a flower having a round centre and 7 round petals into the hot ghee on a slow flame.
- Deep fry the imratis on both sides until golden brown in colour.
- Drain and soak the hot imratis into the warm sugar syrup. Drain immediately and serve hot.
- It will take a little practice to pipe the imratis out correctly.
- Try practicing piping out the batter in a plate or a bowl till you get it correct and then start piping tha batter into the ghee.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.