This recipe has been viewed 4859 times
Idly is one of the best tasting idli or steamed rice dumpling recipe. A popular south Indian food, idli enjoys appeal among all and is typically eaten with coconut chutney or sambhar.
Add your private note
Idly recipe - How to make Idly
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:
- Roast the broken vermicelli in 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil till golden brown. keep aside.
- In the remaining 1 1//2 tablespoons of oil, roast the semolina till light brown. keep aside.
- Combine the vermicelli, semolina, curds, salt and 1 1/2 cups of water and keep aside for at least 30 minutes.
- To prepare the tempering, fry the cashewnuts and the urad dal in oil till golden brown. add the mustard seeds, green chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida and fry till the mustard seeds crackle. pour into the idli batter.
- Add the fruit salt and mix well. immediately pour into greased idli moulds and steam for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with a chutney of your choice.
This recipe was contributed by sairam0203 on 12 Dec 2002
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.