Hyderabadi Baghara Baingan
by Tarla Dalal
4/5 stars 83% LIKED IT
5 GOOD - 1 BAD
Added to 379 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 102652 times
This recipe of Baghara Baingan is a traditional one and lives up to the reputation of this cuisine.
- Slit the brinjals, lengthwise, into four, but leave the stems on, so the eggplants remain joined at the stem. Keep aside.
- Combine the sesame seeds, coconut, peanuts, ginger, garlic and onions in a pan and dry roast them over a slow flame till the flavours are released and the ingredients are lightly browned.
- Add the turmeric powder, coriander seed powder, cumin seed powder, chilli powder and tamarind paste and grind it to a smooth paste using ½ cup water. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep bottomed pan, add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and nigella seeds.
- When they crackle, add the brinjals, curry leaves and green chillies and sauté over medium heat for a couple of minutes. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the coconut and sesame paste and cook till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- Add the cooked brinjals, ½ cup of water and salt and cook covered over a slow flame till the brinjals are soft.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.