Hara Bhara Kebab ( Punjabi Khana)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 117 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 30297 times
Ask any punjabi what his or her favorite snack or starter is and you are sure to get a common answer kebabs. Kebabs can be deep fried, shallow fried or roasted in a tandoor. Kebabs have their origin in persia. Punjabis have in their own special way made the kebab a popular dish world over. Though the first ever known kebabs were made with meat, there is a wide range of delicious vegetarian kebabs that can be prepared in your very own kitchen. The hara bhara kebab is the most popular and just one of the many punjabi kebabs to choose from. It is made with spinach and peas which give the kebab its distinct flavour and its name! rolling the kebab in bread crumbs before frying makes them crisp and crunchy.
- Clean, wash and soak the chana dal. Add the ginger, garlic, green chillies and ¾ cup of water and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles or until the dal is cooked. Drain and discard any excess water.
- Combine the spinach, green peas and cooked dal mixture and blend in a mixer to a coarse mixture without using any water.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl and add the paneer, potatoes, chaat masala, punjabi garam masala, ¼ cup breadcrumbs and salt and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into10 equal portions and shape each kebab into 50 mm. (2”) flat kebabs.
- Dip each kebab into the prepared flour- water paste and roll in the bread crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and deep-fry them till they are golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup and green chutney.
- You can also cook the kebabs on a greased tava (griddle) by following the same procedure till step 5 and cook until golden brown in colour from both the sides.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.