by Tarla Dalal
Added to 51 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 29795 times
This dish is cooked in a traditional Indian deep iron pan called "handi". It is believed that cooking in iron utensils increases the iron content of food, however rice is also naturally rich in iron, so you can be double sure that this recipe will boost your haemoglobin levels. Marinating the vegetables and rice in spices enhances the flavour of this dish, but ensure that you marinate it for at least 30 minutes for best results.
- Clean, wash and soak the brown rice in a bowl for 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine all the ingredients including the brown rice in in a kadhai or a handi, mix well and keep aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of hot water and mix well.
- Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 30 minutes or till the rice gets cooked, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 178 calories|
|Protein|| 4.5 gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 36.5 gm|
|Invisible fat|| 1.3 gm|
|Fibre|| 3.7 gm|
|Iron|| 1.0 mg|
|Zinc|| 1.0 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.