Gulab Jamun ( Mithai)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 391 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 73263 times
There are umpteen ready mixes available in the market for making Gulab Jamun, but none can beat the traditional recipe made with homemade khoya. Authentic Gulab Jamun made with hariyali mava has a very rich mouth-feel that gels well with festivity. In a bygone era, when everything was made at home, khoya would be made in winter and used in summer, by which time it would have acquired a mild green colour (hence the name hariyali) and grainy texture perfect for making Gulab Jamun! If you are not unable to achieve this feat, you can buy some soft khoya and get started.
- Combine the sugar and 1½ cups of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Simmer on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till the syrup is of one string consistency.
- Remove any impurities which float on top of the syrup using a slotted spoon.
- Add the saffron and mix well. Keep the sugar syrup warm.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead well into a very smooth dough.
- Divide this mixture into 30 equal portions and roll each into round balls ensuring there are no cracks on the surface as otherwise the gulab jamuns will crack while deep-frying. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry, 10 gulab jamuns at a time, on a slow flame till they turn brown in colour from all the sides.
- Drain well and immediately immerse in the warm sugar syrup.
- Repeat step 3 and 4 to deep-fry the remaining 20 gulab jamuns in 2 more batches.
- Soak the gulab jamuns in the sugar syrup for at least 1 hour.
- Serve warm or store refrigerated in an air-tight container for upto 3 days.
- Hariali mava is a special kind of mava used to make gulab jamuns.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.