Ghughra, Vatana na Ghughra, Green Peas Ghughra
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 655 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 92948 times
Whether deep-fried for the indulgent or baked for the health-conscious, ghughras make tea-time significantly more interesting! fry the ghughras just before serving as they tend to get cold and soggy after a while.
You could also try the healthier alternative of baking the ghughras at 200ºc for 30 minutes instead of frying. However, remember that even the baked version should be served immediately else it will harden over time. While the ghughras are typically half-moon shaped, you can also make them in other shapes too, if you wish to!
Serve Ghughras as farsan in a Gujarati thali set menu like Panchkutiyu Shaak , Rasawala Chana , Rotlis , Raiwala Marcha , cutney and Shrikhand .
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and add enough water to make a firm dough. Cover and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Knead again using the oil till smooth. Keep aside under a wet muslin cloth.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the green peas and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp water, mix well and cover and cook on a slow flame for 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar, green chilli paste, ginger paste, coriander, coconut, sesame seeds, lemon juice and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Cool slightly and divide the stuffing into 20 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 20 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into a 100 mm. (4") diameter circle using a little plain flour for rolling.
- Place a portion of the stuffing in the centre. Fold it over to make a semi-circle. Seal the ends completely using a little water.
- Twist the edges of the ghughra.
- Repeat for the remaining dough circles and stuffing to make 19 more ghughras.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry, a few ghughras at a time on a slow flame till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Serve immediately with green chutney.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.