Ghughra ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 649 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 82986 times
Whether deep-fried for the indulgent or baked for the health-conscious, ghughras make tea-time significantly more interesting! fry the ghughras just before serving as they tend to get cold and soggy after a while. You could also try the healthier alternative of baking the ghughras at 200ºc for 30 minutes instead of frying. However, remember that even the baked version should be served immediately else it will harden over time. While the ghughras are tupically half-moon shaped, you can also make them in other shapes too, if you wish to!
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and add enough water to make a firm dough. Cover and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Knead again using the oil till smooth. Keep aside under a wet muslin cloth.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the green peas and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Sprinkle some water, mix well and cover and cook on a slow flame for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring once in between.
- Remove the lid and sauté on a medium flame till the mixture becomes dry.
- Add the sugar, ginger-green chilli paste, coconut, coriander, sesame seeds, lemon juice and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Cool slightly and divide the stuffing into 20 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 20 equal portions and roll out each portion into a 75 mm. (3") diameter circle.
- Place a dough circle on a ghughra mould.
- Place a portion of the stuffing in the centre of the circle.
- Close the mould carefully and press it lightly.
- Gently open the mould and remove the ghughra.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 19 more ghughras.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and deep-fry the ghugras on a medium flame a few at a time till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.