Gehun ki Bikaneri Khichdi
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 235 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 33528 times
Rice not being native to Rajasthan, the people there prefer to use wheat, bajra and jowar even for making typical rice dishes like khichdi and raab. This is one such innovative khichdi recipe adapted to use wheat. Hailing from Bikaner, as the name suggests, the Gehun ki Bikaneri Khichdi is a wholesome and nutritious combination of wheat and moong dal that has a fabulous flavour despite employing minimal spices! Enjoy this sumptuous khichdi with curds, ghee and a spicy mango pickle.
- Clean, wash and soak the whole wheat with enough water in a deep bowl overnight. Drain and keep aside.
- Clean, wash and soak the yellow moong dal in enough water in a deep bowl for 2 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Blend the wheat to a coarse paste in a mixer without using any water. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker, add the cumin seeds, green chillies and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the coarsely crushed wheat and yellow moong dal and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the salt and 3½ cups of hot water, mix well and pressure cook for 6 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.