Gatte ki Subzi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 211 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 260278 times
Gram flour dumplings flavoured with dry spices, steamed and then dunked into a yoghurt based curry is a traditional Rajasthani speciality. Enjoy this dish either with puris or steamed rice.
- Combine all the ingredients for the gattas. Knead into a firm dough using 1 to 2 tablespoons of water.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and shape each portion into a 75 mm. (3") long cylindrical roll.
- Boil plenty of water in a pan and cook the gattas in boiling water for 7 to 8 minutes till they float on top. Drain and keep aside.
- Cut the gattas into 12 mm. (½") long pieces. Keep aside.
- Combine the beaten curds, gram flour, ½ cup of water and curry leaves and mix well so that no lumps remain.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, asafoetida, bay leaf, clove, cinnamon and cardamom.
- When the seeds crackle, add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the curd mixture, 1 cup of water and salt and bring to a boil while stirring continuously, so that the kadhi does not split. Simmer for about 10 minutes and keep aside.
- Add the prepared gattas to the kadhi and bring to a boil.
- Serve hot, garnish with the coriander.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.