French Onion Soup, Vegetarian French Onion Soup
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 610 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 59558 times
Did you know that this classic soup in its original form dates back to the Roman times?! The classic soup experienced a renaissance of sorts thanks to French cuisine.
The trick here is to chop the onions really fine. Cheese thickens the broth while mustard imparts a heady, pungent flavour. French Onion Soup is always served by pouring ladles of soup over a cheese crouton placed in a bowl. This soup is delectable and worth trying. Enjoy!
For a 3 course meal after the soup serve Baked Crêpes with Capsicum Sauce , Stewed Green Tomatoes followed by Vanilla Ice-Cream with Flaming Sauce for dessert.
- Heat the butter in a kadhai/ wok, add the onions and sauté on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes, or till they turn golden brown in colour
- Add 4 cups of water, cheese and salt, mix well and allow it to boil on a high flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the pepper powder and mustard powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Toast the bread slices in a pop-up toaster.
- Cut each bread slice into 4 equal square pieces.
- Apply little butter on each bread piece and sprinkle a little cheese on top.
- Just before serving, place 2 cheese croutons in the centre of 4 individual bowls. Pour equal quantities of the soup in each bowl and serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.