Firni ( Eggless Desserts Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 238 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 69928 times
Firni is part-and-parcel of festivities in northern india. It is traditional rice custard made with rich, creamy milk and served in earthenware, which makes it all the more pleasing to the palate. Although it takes time to make firni, it can be cooked in advance. You can also speed up the process a bit by using a broad-bottomed non-stick pan, so that the milk thickens faster.
- Combine the rice along with enough water in a bowl and soak for 1 hour.
- Drain all the excess water and blend in a mixer to a coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Boil the milk in a broad bottom non-stick pan, add the rice paste and mix gently.
- Cook on a slow flame for approx. 15 minutes, while stirring continuously and scraping the sides of the pan.
- Add the sugar and cardamom powder, mix well and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring continuously and scraping the sides of the pan.
- Keep aside to cool slightly and refrigerate for atleast 1 hour.
- Serve chilled garnished with almonds.
- Add a little saffron dissolved in 1 tbsp of milk at step no. 5 and proceed as per the recipe.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.