by Tarla Dalal
Added to 51 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 12549 times
A basic sponge which does not have any form of fat can be made using these instructions. It uses whipped eggs for aeration. This fatless sponge can be used to make various cakes like any gateau and cream cakes.
- Sieve the flour.
- Grease and dust a baking tin. Using approx. 250 mm. X 125 mm. (10"x 5") or 175 mm. (7") diameter tin for the large cake and 225 mm. X 100 mm. (9" x 4") or 150 mm. (6") diameter tin for the small cake.
- Beat the eggs and sugar very well until thick and double in quantity.
- Fold in the well-sieved flour carefully and mix gently with a metal spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin.
- Bake in a hot oven at 400°f for 15 minutes.
- The cake is ready when it leaves the sides of the tin and is springy to touch.
- Take out from the oven and leave for 1 minute. Loosen the sides with a knife, invert the tin over a rack and tap sharply to remove.
- VARIATION : FATLESS CHOCOLATE SPONGE
- Proceed as above adding 1 level tablespoon of cocoa to the flour at step 1.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.