Eggless Caramel Custard
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 108 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 88596 times
This custard is a good alternative for those who hate drinking plain milk. It is a light and tasty pudding with a good amount of calcium, energy and protein.
- Soak the china grass in ¾ cup of cold water for 1 hour. Simmer over a slow flame until it dissolves and becomes a clear liquid.
- In a pudding mould (approx. 6 inches(150 mm)in diameter), add the sugar for caramelising and 1 teaspoon of water and continue cooking until it becomes brown. Spread it all over the mould, rotating the mould to the caramelised sugar evenly.
- The sugar will harden in 10 minutes.
- Keep aside ½ cup of milk. Mix the custard powder in this cold milk.
- Boil the remaining milk with the sugar. When the milk starts boiling, add the custard and continue cooking until you get a smooth sauce.
- Add the melted china grass to the custard. Boil again for 2 minutes. Strain the mixture and cool it slightly.
- Add the vanilla essence. Mix well. Pour this mixture over the prepared mould.
- Refrigerate till it sets.
- Before serving, loosen the sides with a sharp knife and invert on a plate.
Nutrient values per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.