Ebony and Ivory ( Eggless Desserts Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 808 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 12317 times
Yin and yang… dark and light is always a sensible yet sensuous combination. And, that’s what ebony and ivory is all about. It is a brilliant combination of dark and light colours, strong and mild flavours. Here, a delicious chocolate sponge is sandwiched with pineapple, coconut and white chocolate mousse, and topped with chocolate truffle. Pineapple and coconut, with their complementary flavours go well with the chocolate sponge. One thing about this dessert is that, it needs a bit of practice to make three layers of the sponge cake. Fret not; it is not too tough though.
- Combine the white chocolate and milk in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and mix gently till no lumps remain. Keep aside to cool.
- Add the pineapple and desiccated coconut and mix gently.
- Add the beaten whipped cream and fold gently. Keep aside.
- Cool and slice the sponge cake horizontally into 3 equal layers.
- Place the lower half of the sponge cake on a serving dish and soak with the ? of the soaking syrup.
- Spread half of the white chocolate filling evenly on the soaked sponge cake using a palate knife. Use a 75 mm. (3") strip of greaseproof paper to line the sides of the cake, so that the filling does not spill over (refer to diagram below).
- Place the middle layer of sponge over it and soak it with another 1/3 of the soaking syrup.
- Spread the remaining white chocolate filling evenly on the soaked sponge using a palate knife.
- Finally place the top layer of the sponge and soak it with the remaining soaking syrup.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or till the white chocolate filling sets.
- Remove the greaseproof paper and spread the chocolate truffle evenly on top and at the sides of the cake using a palate knife.
- Refrigerate for another 20 minutes or till the chocolate truffle sets.
- Remove from the refrigerator and garnish with almond flakes on the sides of the cake.
- Pipe 6 big swirls of beaten whipped cream at equal distance along the circumference of the cake and place a coffee bean on each swirl as shown in the image.
- Finally place the orange segments in the centre of the cake.
- Cut into 6 equal wedges and serve chilled.
- You can also melt the chocolate-milk mixture on a double boiler.
- Almond flakes are readily available in the market. If you wish to make it at home soak the almonds, peel and then slice them vertically.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.