Double Decker Idlis
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 196 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 29187 times
Piping hot idlis are part of a traditional breakfast in South India.
- For the idlis, wash the rice and dal thoroughly and soak for at least 6 to 7 hours.
- Grind, add salt and mix well. Cover and leave in a warm place for 6 to 8 hours.
- For the potato layer, heat the oil, add the urad dal and mustard seeds and fry for 1/2 minute.
- Add the curry leaves, green chillies and asafoetida and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and turmeric powder and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, chilli powder and salt. Cool the mixture.
- For the coconut chutney, put the coconut, dalia, green chillies, coriander, curry leaves and 2 tablespoons of water into a blender and blend for a few minutes. Do not grind finely.
- For the seasoning (for the chutney), heat the oil and fry the mustard seeds for a few minutes. Add the curry leaves, red chilli and asafoetida. After a few seconds, add the seasoning to the coconut chutney, yoghurt and salt.
- To proceed, grease the banana leaf rounds and place in an idli-stand.
- Put 1 teaspoon of chutney, 1 tablespoon of potato stuffing and 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter on each banan leaf round.
- Steam for 10 to 12 minutes. Wait for 1 minute and take out the idlis. Serve hot.
- Goodness Guide :
- An ideal pre-event snack.
- Low in fat, high in carbohydrates.
Nutrient values Per Serving :
|2.8 g||16.4 g||2.9 g|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.