Double Chocolate Cake ( Cakes and Pastries)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 53 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 38174 times
A double chocolate treat where two varieties of chocolate truffle (milky and dark) come together to delight your taste-buds.
- Combine ½ cup of milk chocolate truffle with ½ cup of whipped cream and whisk well. Keep this milk chocolate cream aside.
- Combine ½ cup of dark chocolate truffle with ½ cup of whipped cream and whisk well. Keep this dark chocolate cream aside.
- Slice the sponge cake horizontally into 2 equal. Keep aside.
- Soak the bottom layer of the sponge cake with ½ the sugar syrup.
- Spread the milk chocolate cream on the soaked layer of the cake and refrigerate for 20 minutes to set.
- Spread the remaining milk chocolate truffle on top in an even layer.
- Sandwich with the second layer of the sponge cake and soak it with the remaining sugar syrup.
- Spread the dark chocolate cream on top and at the sides of the cake.
- Transfer the cake onto a cake board and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Melt ½ cup of dark chocolate truffle and cool it to room temperature, while string continuously.
- Place the cake on a turntable and when the dark chocolate truffle is cool but still saucy, pour over the cake
- Tap the cake board a little so it spreads evenly on top and at the sides and refrigerate for about 20 minutes to set.
- To make the chocolate cigar, spread ¼ cup of tempered chocolate in a thin layer on a clean formica / granite or marble surface using a palate knife.
- With a firm grip on the palate knife and employing a steady amount of pressure, slowly draw the knife in a straight line down the layer of chocolate.
- You can use your free hand to help form the chocolate into a nice curl. Make 3-4 such curls and keep aside.
- Pour the remaining tempered chocolate into a butter paper-piping bag fitted with a round nozzle and fold the top end of the piping bag so as to seal it. Snip a bit off the tip so as to get a tiny hole for the piping to come out.
- Pipe out straight parallel lines of at a distance of about 10 mm. From each other on top of the cake and allow the chocolate to flow along the sides.
- Pour the remaining dark chocolate truffle into a disposable piping bag fitted with a no 5 star nozzle and make a shell border at the base of the cake.
- To do this : squeeze the piping bag to allow the dark chocolate truffle to fan out generously– do not lift the bag. Gradually relax your pressure as you lower the tip until it touches the surface.
- Stop pressure and pull the tip away, without lifting it off the surface, to draw the shell to a point. Start the end of your next shell so that the fanned end covers the tail of the preceding shell to form and even chain. Keep the piping bag aside.
- Garnish with chocolate cigars on top, cut into 6 equal wedges and serve.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.