by Tarla Dalal
Added to 550 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 50466 times
A perfect blend of flours, with grated bottle gourd and spices, makes the Doodhi Muthias absolutely delightful to bite into, while cooking them in a Microwave oven makes it a really quick and convenient dish to prepare.
Top the Doodhi Muthias with a traditional tempering and a sprinkling of chopped coriander before serving with tongue-tickling green chutney.
- Strain the liquid out of the grated doodhi and onion, keeping the liquid aside to use only if required to knead the dough.
- Combine all the ingredients for the muthias in a deep bowl and knead into a very soft dough adding the strained vegetable liquid only if required.
- Using oiled palms, divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and roll out into cylindrical rolls approximately 200 mm. (8") long and 25 mm. (1") in diameter.
- Place 2 cylindrical rolls in a greased shallow glass microwave safe dish and cover with a microwave safe lid and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Allow it to stand for 1 minute.
- Repeat step 4 to make 2 more rolls.
- Cool, cut into slices and keep aside.
- To prepare the tempering, heat the oil in a deep microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Add the mustard seeds, sesame seeds and asafoetida, mix well and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Add the muthia pieces, toss gently and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Garnish with the coriander and serve immediately with green chutney.
- To check if the muthias are done, inserta toothpick in the centre. If it comes out clean, the muthias are cooked.
- VARIATION : You can use cabbage or fenugreek leaves instead of pumpkin.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.