Dhan-saak Dal ( 1 Teaspoon Oil Recipe )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 174 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 22128 times
A traditional parsi dish usually prepared on sundays for a family meal. As the name says, dhan-saak is an interesting combination of dals (dhan) and vegetables (saak) perked with loads of spices to make it a mouth-watering dish. Being cooked only with 1 teaspoon of oil this is a really healthier recipe. We have taken care not to strain out the dal after boiling it so as to retain all the fibre and nutrients that the vegetables and dals provide. Serve the dhan-saak with brown rice, to make a completely gratifying meal.
- Combine the toovar dal, yellow moong dal, masoor dal, urad dal, 2 cups of water, potatoes, brinjal, , bottle gourd, red pumpkin, tomatoes , spring onions whites and greens and salt in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Blend in a mixer to a smooth dal-vegetable mixture. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the prepared paste and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the dal-vegetable mixture, ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tamarind pulp, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, stirring once in between.
- Serve hot with brown rice.
|Amt||Energy||Protein||Cho||Fat||Vit A||Vit C||Calcium||Iron||F. Acid||Fibre|
| 88 gm|| 127 kcal|| 7.2 gm|| 20.5 gm|| 1.8 gm|| 177.3 mcg|| 9.4 mg|| 43.9 mg|| 1.2 mg|| 37.8 mcg|| 0.8 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.