Dalimbi Usal, Val Usal, Maharashtrian Vaal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 87 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 32122 times
Here is a tongue-tickler from the Marathi culinary files! Dalimbi Usal, a traditional accompaniment to rice and rotis is made by cooking field beans with a traditional tempering, tangy kokum and everyday spices.
Jaggery creates a nice sweet and sour effect, while other ingredients like ginger, onions and coriander add their peppy touch to this Maharashtrian vaal preparation. You will notice that this dish uses a lot of coriander, and not just a sprinkling of it. This is essential to improve the aroma and flavour of the vaal usal.
Serve along with Chawal Bhakri , Methiche Varan , Dodkyacha Bhaat and Shrikhand for a lip smacking and delicious meal.
- Soak the kokums in ¼ cup of water and leave aside for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze and keep the kokum water aside and discard the kokum.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, curry leaves and ginger and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the vaal, salt and 1 cup of water. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the turmeric powder, kokum water, jaggery, chilli powder, coriander and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||137.5 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.4 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||5.7 mg|
|Folic Acid||2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.