Dal and Rice Dosa
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 811 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 47487 times
Quite different from the usual dosa in appearance and flavour, the Dal and Rice Dosa is so sumptuous that a pair of them will easily keep you satiated till the next meal. The dal flavour is quite dominant in this delectable dosa, which combines beautifully with sambhar and chutney. As a more flavourful and aromatic variant, you can add finely chopped methi leaves or drumstick leaves to the batter before making this dosa. If doing so, make sure you chop the leaves real fine so that it does not hinder spreading of the dosa.
- Soak the rice, urad dal and chana dal in a deep bowl with enough lukewarm water for 2 hours.
- Drain, wash and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using approx. . 2 cups of water.
- Transfer the batter into a deep bowl, add the salt and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside to ferment overnight.
- Next day, add approx. 2 tbsp of water and mix well to make a batter of pouring consistency.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), sprinkle a little water on the tava (griddle) and wipe it off gently using a cloth.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on it and spread it in a circular motion to make a 225 mm. (9”) diameter thin circle.
- Smear a little oil over it and along the edges and cook on a high flame till the dosa turns brown in colour and crisp.
- Fold over to make a semi-circle or a roll.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 24 more dosas.
- Serve immediately with coconut chutney and sambhar.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.