Dal Tadka, Punjabi Dal Tadka Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 158 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 425780 times
The Dal tadka is a regular feature for most of us while eating out at a Punjabi restaurant.
However few of us realize that this dish can be prepared with ease in your very own kitchen at nearly one-fifth the price.
Made with split red lentils this creamy, rich and smooth dal is tempered with Punjabi spices and ghee. It makes the perfect accompaniment to Cooked Rice or Rotis .
- Clean, wash and soak both the dals in water for 20 minutes.
- Drain, add the green chillies, ginger, garlic, turmeric powder, salt and 3 cups of water and pressure cook till the dals are tender.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Remove the green chillies and discard them. Whisk so as to mash the dals. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the ghee in a deep pan and add the mustard seeds and nigella seeds. When the mustard seeds crackle, add the red chilli and onions and sauté till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté for 3-4 minutes or till the mixture leaves oil.
- Add the dals, mix well and bring to boil. Serve hot garnished with coriander and butter.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.