Dal Pakwan ( Know Your Dals and Pulses)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 46 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 25899 times
A soothing dal made with chana dal accompanied by pakwans, is a traditional favourite with sindhis. It makes for a wholesome breakfast!
- Clean, wash and soak the chana dal for 3 to 4 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle add the onions and chillies and sauté till the onions turn light brown in colour.
- Add the chana dal , turmeric powder, salt and ½ cup of water and cover and cook on a slow heat for 15 to 20 minutes until the dal is soft.
- Add the tomatoes, coriander-cumin seeds powder and chilli powder and coriander and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle the garam masala on top and keep aside.
- Combine the plain flour, wheat flour, cumin seeds and salt and knead into a stiff dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 18 equal portions and roll each portion into 125 mm. (5”) diameter circle.
- Prick each circle with a fork
- Heat he oil in a kadhai and deep-fry the pakwans, one at a time, till they are golden brown in colour. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Serve the hot dal with the pakwans, onions and chutney.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.