Added to 717 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 52413 times
A wholesome kadhi that uses cooked chana dal instead of besan. You will enjoy the texture of this Dal Kadhi, as well as the lingering mouthwatering flavour, brought about by simple spices.
Another special aspect of this kadhi is the addition of chopped capsicum, which imparts not just crunch but also a flavour and aroma that you will surely relish.
- Clean, wash and soak the chana dal in enough water in a deep bowl for 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Combine the chana dal and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and ginger-green chilli paste and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the capsicum and chilli powder and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked chana dal and salt, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the curds, sugar and coriander, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.