Dahi Kachori ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 331 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 133416 times
Dahi kachori, although rooted in the north, this filling snack has found its own place in the good old streets of mumbai! it’s a challenge to deftly bite into this king-sized snack. However well you do it, you will have a spot of chutney ooze out onto your face… be a sport, it is part of the roadside eating experience!
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, add enough warm water and knead into a semi-soft dough.
- Keep covered under a wet muslin cloth for 5 minutes and keep aside.
- Knead again using oil till smooth and elastic and divide it into 4 equal portions. Keep aside covered with a wet muslin cloth.
- Dry roast the cumin seeds, fennel seeds and cloves in a kadhai on a medium flame for a few seconds. Remove and keep aside to cool.
- Blend in a mixer to a coarse powder and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in the same kadhai, add the besan and sauté on a slow flame for a few seconds.
- Add the asafoetida, moong dal, ginger-green chilli paste, chilli powder, garam masala, dry mango powder, sugar and salt, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for a minute.
- Divide it into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into a 62 mm. (2½") diameter circle.
- Place a portion of the filling mixture in the centre of the rolled dough circle.
- Bring in the edges of the dough by slowly stretching over the filling and seal the ends tightly.
- Roll again into a 75 mm. (3”) diameter circle taking care to ensure that the filling does not spill out.
- Gently press the centre of the kachori with your thumb.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and filling to make 5 more kachoris.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry the kachoris on a slow flame till they turn crisp and golden brown in colour from all the sides. (the kachoris should puff up like puris. It will take time to fry on a slow flame as the crust is thick and needs to be cooked) keep aside to cool.
- Crack a small hole in the centre of a kachori and arrange on a plate.
- Stuff each kachori with 1 tbsp of moong sprouts and top with ¼ cup of curds, 1 tbsp of meetha chutney and 1½ tsp of teekha phudina chutney.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of sev, ¼ tsp of dry masala powder and 1 tsp of coriander evenly over it and serve immediately.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more plates.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.