Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 50075 times
Chole masala is a north indian style chickpea preparation with choicest spices and ingredients. The kabuli chana or chole are boiled along with tea leaves tied in a muslin cloth and then cooked in a delicious onion-tomato and ginger-garlic paste based spicy gravy. Serve chole masala with onion rings as garnishing with roti or rice.
Add your private note
Chole Masala recipe - How to make Chole Masala
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
1 hours 10 minutesMakes 3 servings
- Pressure cook the kabuli chana along with bayleaf and tea bag for 5 whistles or till the chana are cooked but not mashed.
- Drain preserving the water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadhai, add the capsicum and tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared paste, mix well and cook till oil separates.
- Add all dry masalas, 1 cup preserved chana water, mix well and bring to boil.
- Add the channa, mix well and simmer till gravy is almost dry.
- Remove from the flame and pour into serving dish.
- Before serving, for the tempering, heat ghee in a small pan.
- Add cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the chillies and curry leaves and saute for 10 seconds.
- Add the lemon juice, 1/4 cup water which was drained from channa and mix well.
- Pour this tempering immediately over channa and mix gently.
- Serve hot with slices of bread, parathas, or bhaturas
This recipe was contributed by puja_c on 24 Aug 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.