Chocolate Ricotta Torte
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 130 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 16462 times
A favourite italian dessert of a sinfully rich chocolate cake sandwiched with a fruity ricotta filling topped with coffee cream. "ricotta" is a fresh and creamy soft italian cheese similar to cottage cheese, but with a sweeter flavour, ideal for savouries and desserts. I have used freshly made cream cheese instead of ricotta for this recipe which gives very good results. You may need to increase the quantity of cream for the filling if the cream cheese seems too dry. If you like, you can even add fresh fruits in the ricotta filling.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa, chocolate powder, baking powder and soda bi-carb together.
- Mix the condensed milk, flour mixture, 100 ml. Of water, the vanilla essence and melted butter thoroughly.
- Pour the cake mixture into a greased and dusted 150 mm. Or 175 mm. (6" or 7") diameter tin.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 180°c(360°f) and bake for a further 15 minutes.
- The cake is ready when it leaves the sides of the tin and is springy to touch. When ready, take out from the oven and leave for 1 minute. Invert the tin over a rack and tap sharply to remove the cake.
- Cool the cake.
- Transfer the cream cheese into a blender with the sugar and blend till is a smooth mixture.
- Add the vanilla essence, cream, candied peel and glazed cherries and mix well.
- Refrigerate till required.
- Combine all the ingredients in a clean bowl and mix gently. Keep refrigerated.
- Slice the cooled chocolate sponge into 2 equal halves horizontally.
- Place one half on a serving plate and sprinkle with half the brandy.
- Spread the ricotta filling mixture on top and sandwich it with the other slice of the chocolate sponge.
- Soak this half of the sponge with the remaining brandy.
- Cover the cake with the coffee cream topping and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Cut into wedges.
- Serve chilled.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.