Chitrana Rice ( South Indian Recipes )
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 41 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 34078 times
Another popular traditional rice preparation from karnataka! this is one version of the recipe made using powdered spices. Alternatively, it can also be made by processing the ingredients into a gravy called gojju and then mixing it with cooked rice.
- Combine the sesame seeds and peanuts in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast on a slow flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring continuously. Keep aside to cool.
- When cooled, blend in a mixer to a coarse powder. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in the same pan and add the mustard seeds and chana dal.
- When the mustard seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, curry leaves and red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the cooked rice, coconut, prepared sesame-peanut masala, malgapodi , turmeric powder, tamarind pulp and salt, mix well and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring twice in between.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.