Cheese Chilli Toast ( Mumbai Roadside Snack)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 199 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 67925 times
If the name makes you believe that this is a simple toast of bread with cheese and chilli flakes, you are in for a huge surprise. On Mumbai’s streets, Cheese Chilli Toast is an elaborate treat, of chutney-coated bread topped with a succulent mixture of cheese, capsicum and green chillies. Toasted with a brushing of butter, the Cheese Chilli Toast is a snack that will perk you up instantly with its vibrant flavour and wonderful texture. Serve it hot and fresh with tomato ketchup and green chutney.
- Combine the cheese, capsicum, green chillies and salt in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Spread ½ tsp of butter on each bread slice evenly and keep aside.
- Place 2 bread slices on a clean, dry surface with the buttered side facing upwards.
- Spread 1 tsp of green chutney on each of the bread slices.
- Spread a portion of the mixture evenly on 1 bread slice and cover with another bread slice with 1 buttered-chutney side facing downwards and press it tightly.
- Spread a little butter evenly on the bread slices.
- Grease a sandwich toaster on both the sides using butter and pre-heat for a minute.
- Place the sandwich in the sandwich toaster and cook on a medium flame, till it turns brown and crisp from both the sides.
- Cut into 4 equal pieces, place it on a plate and apply a little butter evenly over it.
- Repeat steps 4 to 10 to make 3 more toasts.
- Serve immediately with tomato ketchup and green chutney.
- At step 9, keep turning the sandwich toaster and checking at regular intervals to avoid the toast from getting burnt.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.