Chawli Bean Subzi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 21 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 40880 times
This unique Chawli Bean Subzi is sure to please your palate with its exciting sweet, sour and spicy flavour. With tamarind, jaggery and chilli powder, not to forget a quick and traditional tempering, the fibre and iron-rich chawli bean becomes a tangy treat that you will love to munch on! Use the small variety of chawli to get the best texture and flavour. Serve this subzi fresh and hot to enjoy its vibrant flavours before they begin to pale.
- Combine the soaked and drained chawli beans, salt and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat a deep non-stick kadhai on a medium flame and when hot, add the cumin seeds, asafoetida and dry roast for about 30 seconds.
- Add the cooked chawli, along with the liquid, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and salt, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the tamarind pulp and jaggery, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
| 110 kcal|| 6.5 gm|| 20.3 gm|| 0.3 gm|| 4.3 gm|| 2.5 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.