Chana Dal Vada, Crispy Chana Dal Vada
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 274 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 54169 times
The moment a South Indian buys a cup of tea , he would also buy a plate of Chana Dal Vada to accompany it! That is how popular this tasty South Indian Chana Dal Vada is.
And not without reason. With loads of onions, coriander, green chillies and spices, this vada is a real tongue tickler. Not only that, the coarsely ground chana dal paste results in super crispy vadas that make you reach out for more... and more... till somebody whacks your hand and tells you to stop!
South Indian snacks like Bonda , Thattai , Medu vada and Urad Dal and Vegetable Appe also make delicious evening tea snacks or snacks for entertaining when served with coconut chutney.
- Clean, wash and soak the chana dal in enough hot water for 2 hours. Drain well.
- Combine the soaked chana dal, dry red chillies, green chillies, cumin seeds and ¼ cup of water in a mixer and blend to a thick coarse paste.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add all the remaining ingredients and mix well using your hands.
- Divide the mixture into 18 equal portions and roll each portion into a round flat vada.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, deep-fry a few vadas at a time on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Serve immediately with coconut chutney.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.