Cannelloni, Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 294 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 72088 times
The word cannelloni is derived from 'canna' and literally means big tubes of pasta. Pasta sheets are cooked, filled and rolled up into a cylindrical shape to form cannelloni. This recipe is a lighter alternative to the cheese and calorie laden traditional recipe.
Filled with baby corn, mushrooms and spinach, the cannelloni is coated with a creamy white sauce. You can buy ready cannelloni sheet instead of making it at home. Serve this recipe with garlic bread and tossed green salad.
- Divide the pasta dough into 10 equal portions.
- Roll each portion of the dough into a 150 mm. (6”) diameter thin circle.
- Boil enough water in a deep non-stick pan, add oil and salt and mix well.
- Drop the prepared pasta sheet, one at a time, into the boiling water and cook each sheet for 2 minutes.
- Drain and transfer into a bowl of cold water to refresh.
- Drain again and keep aside.
- Heat the butter in a broad non-stick pan, add the garlic and spring onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and baby corn and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach, oregano, cheese, fresh cream, salt and pepper, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute. Keep aside.
- Heat the butter in a broad non-stick pan, add the plain flour and cook on a slow flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the milk, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, or till the sauce thickens, while stirring continuously.
- Add the salt and pepper, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Divide the filling into 2 equal portions.
- Place a cooked cannelloni sheet on a clean, dry surface, put a portion of the filling on one side of the sheet and roll it up gently.
- Repeat step 2 to make 9 more cannelloni.
- Place all the prepared cannelloni on a greased baking dish and pour the prepared white sauce evenly over it.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.